Question

aaybar527

my negative items will "fall off" my report next year, should I "pay for deletion" or should i wait
I have negative items on my report which are in collections. the statute of limitations of 7 years is up next year. I want to improve my credit score, should I offer to pay for deletion or should I just wait out the year?

Most Helpful Response

That's a matter for your individual judgment, of course. But in general, unless you're going to be applying for a mortgage or something soon, most people would let them age off once they've gotten this old.

BTW, the 7 years (actually up to 7-1/2) is only the limit for credit reporting. The actual statute of limitations (e.g. the time in which you can be sued for a bad debt) varies from state-to-state and may be longer or shorter than the credit-reporting limit.