Question

NicoleW10

My name on parent's over the limit credit card, but it's my longest credit history, keep or remove?
My mom put me on her credit card so I could make payments on a cash advance she gave me, it really helped with my credit, but now its at 2714/2700 balance, and I'm unsure if it's worth it or not. It's credit history is back to 2005, and I got my first credit in 2008, so should I keep my name on it, or remove it? I have a lot of my own current credit, so I'm not sure if having that extra 2700 if hurting or helping because of the history, especially, over the limit

Most Helpful Response

If she's the main cardholder and she added you as an authorized user, it may not affect you as much as her. That's obviously bad to be over the limit, but I could check with the credit card to see how it affects you with just being an authorized user.

Payment history counts for 35% of your score, 30% is utilization, 15% is age of account, 10% mix of credit, 10% inquiries.  So, if you take yourself off, you'll lose the 35% history and the 15% age (mix of credit and inquiries not affected).  Perhaps your mom could ask her credit card company to increase her limit?  That would be best of all worlds.  Otherwise, you'll have to decide if you're willing to take the hit.  I don't know your current score, so you'll have to decide for yourself which is better.  Hope this helps!

From what I understand, since you are an authorized card holder for the account. Should something happen to your Mom, (ie death) you become responsible for her debt! And not just that one account... everything!! 

Personally, I would do whatever possibly to get that credit down and as soon as possible! If you can double if not triple up on your payments each month. (I know, easier said than done)! That is if the purchases have all been yours. Pay the account down and see how much that changes your score.  And then take your name off the account. I am currently in a similar situation but my account is far from the limit at this time. About once a year I get the card almost paid off then another emergency arises and I need to use it again. Sooner or later I will pay it off completely then take my name off the account.

Well it's tempting to want to use a credit card every time you would want to purchase items you want, not for nessesary needs or emergancy needs. If you want something that bad, what's wrong with lay away or perhaps putting extra money you plan on saving for the item you wanted so bad a side in a bank or a safe and not spend it but only for the things you want? Be sorta a tight wad like me and stop spending on unnessesary wants and don't go out as much wasting the funds you don't really have by giving to the oil companies for extra gas and save on gas by sitting home and have movie or club music parties and invite friends co worker and thier friends! Think about the money you can save from  every time you want to do unnessesary things and your wallet or pocket book will thank you for it! Be happy!

keep it !!

Hi  I have had a similiar situation from a family member putting me down as a card holder of the account. Well my mom put me on it because she was elderly and i did all her shopping, A nd of course her card said her name and i had trouble sometimes using the card so she called and had them put me down. Well my mom passed and i was held responcible for it because i was a card holder. it was pay or goes on yoour credit report, Then your score drops and Banks start renogging theire card on you . I had good credit then and the banks took my cards for not paying my moms. and theire is going to be probably a hefty charge for over draw.