Question

RdewCredit456

My identity was stolen by a parent and nobody will help me
My mother stole my identity 3 years ago and nobody has any advice on how to clear my name! I want to go to school but i cant take any loans does anyone have any advice?

Most Helpful Response

This is going to be a fairly lengthy process and depends on your morals. The fact that your mother used your identity, and in effect you believe "stole" it, you should report it to the proper authorities. Whether or not she would be arrested, I'm not sure about those logistics. If that's not something you wish to do, I would go into your credit report (available through www.annualcreditreport.com) and send letters to all the creditors your mother used as well as all three credit bureaus to address your concerns and help them remove such negative activity from the reports. It will definitely help your case if your mother opened a lot of these accounts while you were under 18 because technically you weren't even able to open the accounts in the first place! You may also want to make sure your mother does NOT have access to your social security # and other crucial information for opening accounts. If she has all this committed to memory, you can set up a credit monitoring system that will make sure you are the rightful owner of the account before anything is ever opened. I would also explain the situation to the credit monitorin system, and have some extra measure in place such as setting up a code word(s) or password(s) before you're able to open anything, since your mother may know a lot of information you would have to provide anyway. It's not going to be easy, but you have to start somewhere to fix your credit!