Question

Maddy1966

My husband's ex wife took half of the joint debt later went bankrupt now it's on his credit
The credit cards have a closed-derogatory on them and also zero balance due to charge off. So I don't know how to go about contacting (I know it's my husband who has to contact them though) the credit card companies or what to say about it if he does contact them. This all just happened in 2011 so it's not like it's gonna fall off of his credit report any time soon. I believe that in North Carolina it takes 7 years for it to fall off your report. We need help because we are trying to fix his credit, and yes he had some bad stuff of his own, to be able to buy a house while the prices are still low on properties.

The problem is that your spouse did not get his name off the accounts that his ex was responsible for, so there is very little you can do.  As soon as he got divorced, he should have called all the creditors that his ex was supposed to pay and told them to remove his name from the account.  It is a Federal, not state law, that accounts must fall off 7 & 1/2 years from date they went delinquent. However, if you want to buy a house without a credit score, visit www naca dot com.  They are legit non profit group with low interest rates, zero down, zero closing costs and credit scores don't matter.  Two people in my office are using them.