Question

Robyn9

My husband & I will be divorcing in the next few months. How will this affect my credt rating?
We have to sell the house, & my name is on the mortgage, & there are credit cards in both names. I don't know if all these things will hurt or help my credit score once we split.

Most Helpful Response

It will effectively ruin your credit score for some time... Any joint accounts will be closed, history will be lost, and any assets / debts will be liquidated and split up...

Divorce never leaves anyone unscathed, any debts solely in your name will still be solely in your name, but there is a silver lining you will get half of his retirement...

Once the split is complete, you will have to pick up the pieces that were once your financial life, get a credit card in your name, pay it off on time every month never running it up past 10% utilization and start the game over again...

Divorce is like an etch-i-sketch that does not quite erase completely...