Question

griffi23

My credit score was 815 just before the turn of the year. It is now 756. What happened?
I got rid of a long standing credit card from 1998 and opened up a discover card. would that do it? no late bills, nothing.
Discover.com and this site states there are no reovolving credits as the issue. perhaps they looked into my credit when the old card went down and the new card went up? timing issue? my credit has alweays been 800+.

Most Helpful Response

You answered your own question with the first sentence   "I got rid of a long standing credit card from 1989".  Are of accounts is 15% of your score.   Also, opening up a new card causes your score to drop as well.

Yes. By closing an older account and opening a new one, your average account age likely dropped significantly.

On the left hand side of this webpage, under the resources tab, there are many articles that explain changes like this in more detail.

In this case, I'd read this one here:

www.creditkarma.com/article/MyScoreDroppedWhy