Question

dcb1212

My credit score varies by 73 pts within same bureau depending where it's checked - please help
Please someone help me if at all possible. I ran free credit report on the 3 bureaus and then obtained credit scores from Equifax and Transunion (by paying for them). I have a credit monitoring service with Experian and I went ahead an ran a 3 Bureau Report and Score to double check. When I ran the 3 Bureau Report my scores were as follows : Experian 635, Equifax 651 and Transunion 640. When I ran Equifax by itself (through Equifax) it came back at 616, when I ran Transunion by itself it was 713 (same as shown on creditkarma. In one bureau it was 35 points lower and the other it was 73 points higher. Shouldn't they be the same regardless of where the report / score is run? I understand that the bureaus report differently, but I figured the scores would be the same within the bureau. We need to file for a mortgage asap and need to know how mortgage lenders run scores and the best way to fix this issue - my wifes scores have a similar variance. PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN - THANK YOU

Most Helpful Response

Everyone calculates differently

The score will vary because everyone uses different models to calculate it. You will see this difference when you check the score tag (smthng like 'vantage score', etc.). It does vary even with the same bureau. TransUnion on Credit Karma will be the same because CK simply pulls the data from there. It doesn't calculate on their own. Hence, you see these many variations.

As far as the mortgage is concerned, I guess FICO score is the only model that is considered by institutions. Go to myFICO.com, and order your FICO scores from whichever bureau you want to. Also, for future references, if you have gotten the scores and reports from annualcreditreport.com, please don't spend money buying different scores from different sources. Its waste of money and it's not worth it. The financial insitution that grants you mortgage will have their own models to calculate the score and they won't buy these individual scores (unless it's FICO).