Question

Posted in Auto Insurance

lminter2010

My credit score keeps going up, but my home and auto score is going down. Why is this?
My credit score has gone up my more than a 100 points in the last 2 months while my auto and home insurance score have dropped by about 100 points. I only use about 1/7 of my credit limit every month and pay it off right away and pay my other loan on time every month. What has caused my auto and home insurance score to plummet?

Most Helpful Response

Iminter

I wouldnt worry about the home and auto scores on CK.  I have seen countless people on here (including myself), that have all their accounts in good standing and a good FICO, yet the home and auto numbers are not very good and even poor.  They must use some strange set of criteria to figure them.  Mine says poor, yet I get the best auto and home rates with one of the top ins companies.

If you figure it out, let us know.  Maybe some home brew CK thing, Who knows.  Whatever they are using to figure it, it doesnt seem very intuitive to me.

Rich

lminter2010

I did some research and found out that credit checks are a big factor that effect auto and home insurance scores. I have had 3 credit checks from 3 different credit card companies in the past 6 months or so. I had never had any credit cards before that. Using them minimally and paying them off right away has really helped to build my credit, but I believe it is the 3 credit checks that have caused my auto and home scores to decrease in the opposite direction just as much. The insurance companies rate people as a greater risk when they see someone applying to lots of credit cards. It can be assumed that someone needing lots of credit cards would be less able to pay for an accident out of pocket and more likely to file a claim. Although it makes sense, it seems a bit unreasonable how much it effects the score. I will provide an update in a few months as to whether my score increases as I should not need any credit checks for a while.