Question

ShatterLSS

My credit score is at 771, but NOTHING on the simulator will increase it. Is there some kind of cap?
Hello everyone,

I've seen in the past, when I paid to get my credit score, that it has been higher than 771 (around 800). I don't have (and won't for a few more years) a mortgage yet, which I think will help me increase that. Nothing else I have done has moved my credit score at all (whether in reality over the past 7 months OR by using the simulator). I have the following:

5% CC utilization (paid off in full every month)
No late or missed payments
8 1/2 years average credit card length (newest card is 5 1/2 years old)
No derogatory marks or hard inquiries
Received "A" grade in all categories..
EXCEPT for a "C" in "Total Accounts" (with no intention of opening 5 more accounts to up this rating - honestly, I think this one doesn't make much sense and doesn't have much of an influence)

I've done everything possible on the simulator and anything from "two years of on-time payments" to "increase my credit limit by $50,000" and it doesn't move my score one bit. If I add a loan/mortgage, it actually decreases my score by 6 points, regardless of the amount (actually $50,000 or less drops it to 748).

Any suggestions? I just want to know if this is a CAP set by credit karma, for whatever reason. Any help would be appreciated!

Most Helpful Response

Congratulations on your high score. There's no cap on the simulator, but when your score is that high, it can take a significant change for it to rise.  The only thing that is likely to improve your score is by allowing your accounts to continue to age. A mortgage might make your score drop intially, but after several months of on-time payments it should rebound.

Thanks for that, but my question isn't about moving up my credit score. I'm comfortable and confident that I have the best possible credit that I can get at this time.

My question is about the nature of score reporting/simulation on this site. I want to know if there are people who have scores of 800+ on here, or if there is some kind of cap. In my experience, there is, so I wanted to hear what others might have to say (i.e. anyone that can report ~800+).

If you want to know if anyone has 800 on credit karma, I would make that your question/title. I'd be curious To know as well. :)

Your credit score on Credit Karma is not reported to anyone anywhere (except to you) and is an approximation for use on this learning site (which is what Credit Karma actually is).  You have a very good credit score and frankly, once a score hits the 700s, it's slow to move up.  As long as it doesn't move down, I wouldn't sweat it.  Read more of the articles on this site for additional information on credit scores.