Question

K75K9

My credit score is 802, will closing my AMEX green card lower my credit score?
I have always paid in full immediately after getting the statement. I am just not thrilled enough with AMEX anymore to be willing to pay the $95. yearly fee.

Most Helpful Response

Is that card's limit and balances listed on your report? AmEx "green" card is a charge card that you have to pay in full each due date correct? I don't believe its balance factor into your utilization, I don't even think it factors into your total number of revolving accounts, it might just be a hidden trade line. In FICO scoring models, they includes both open and closed accounts into your age/average age of credit, closed account in good standing can remain on your report for 10 years, so closing it won't affect your age of credit. Personally, I would close it and not paying that annual fee.

I'm guessing you have had the account for a while.  The primary way it will immediately affect your score is in the average credit age.  If the amount of time the card has been opened is greater than your average credit age, closing it will drop it somewhat.  How much depends on how many accounts you have open and how much higher the age of the account is over the average.   If you have a fairly long and established credit history, it shouldn't be much.   Alternately, if the card has been opened a short amount of time (a year or so), then you could actually average up your average credit age.

The other area it could impact is in the utilization category.  This can have a much greater effect on your score.  If you have $1000 in balances and $20000 in revolving credit lines, you have 5% utilization, but if you close the AMEX and it represents $10000 of your total credit, you just jumped to 10% utilization.  Be prepared for that adjustment.  Bear in mind that the utilization is based off what your reported balances are at closing - like you I pay mine off monthly, but I pay them off two days before closing so across all credit cards, I typically have $200-300 reported, which is less than 1% utilization.

Just a thought, but have you tried calling AMEX and seeing if they might be willing to move you to a different card?  Don't necessarily cite a decision to close the account until the refuse to offer anything, just see if they might be willing to move you to something like the Clue Cash or Everyday card that doesn't have an annual fee.

Rerecros

JohnnyRain below is more factually correct than I; my apologies for the misdirection.  I wasn't thinking of the charge card (or rather I was thinking of our now defunct greenish Costco credit card which we always refer to as the "green amex").

The Green charge card shouldn't really impact your credit.  It should show as an "other" account on your credit report and since it reports no utilization, should have minimal impact.