Question

Michael21268

My credit history shows as only 5yrs. I'm 45 and have credit since I was 21. Why doesn't it show?

Most Helpful Response

I believe the stat you are looking at is your "average age of credit." I do not know the details of your credit history, but if you have opened multiple accounts recently or closed your old accounts it will affect your average. The average age only takes active accounts into consideration, so if you got a credit card when you were 18 years old, but have since closed it, it is not be taken into consideration under that statistic past the 7 years it takes for it to fall off of your credit. I am in my late 20's and my average age is just under 8 years, but I still have all of my credit cards open that I opened while in college.  Likewise the more recent accounts you open it will cause that average to decrease, I am about to buy a new car, so my average age is going to take a hit soon. I hope that makes sense.

Michael21268

Thank you...that is very helpful....and it would be much more helpful it Transunion wasn't the one used on this site......they suck....

ignorant of the rules

I recently filed a direct dispute and wish I could remove it. It seems no matter how much attention you pay to your credit, there is always a rule to counter your efforts if there is a way to remove my dispute someone please give me the way to do it  margodebrue@yahoo.com