Question

jim1981

More tips to raise credit score
I have been using this site for over a year now and really appreciate all of the excellent advice. I currently have two credit cards with a max limit of $650. I increased the limit on my Capital One card from $200 to $250 and also repaid some of my debts. My score jumped 59 points since the last update from 629 to 688.

One of the reasons that I think my score has not jumped any higher is that I do have 99% utilization on my Capital One card. If I read correctly, I want to keep my credit card utilization between 15-20%.

I would like to have a score of 700 or above.

Most Helpful Response

You are correct if you lowered utilization to 20% your score would go up minimum 15 points max 40 points I'd say in your case closer to the 40 point max given your utilization is 99% and despite your low limts the best way to do this is to pay them off EVERYDAY down to under 20% and then don't use the card 2 weeks before the closing date because you want to be sure the utilization is being caught at under 20% and the best way to do that is have it freed up 2 weeks before closing date given your extremely low limits ie: your closing date is the 15th of January pay the card down below 20% on the 28th of Decemeber then don't use the card again until Janauary 16th It will be hard given your low limits but IF YOU DO THIS FOR 2 MONTHS you will be able to apply for a 3rd card say Capital one quicksilver a excellent status card with no issues or w/e excellent status card you may want since you other cards limits are so low you need a 3rd one or need to pay off every single day then not use 2 weeks before closing date which is extremely hard