Question

ellemwella

Mom put a credit card in my name when I was 17, now I have debt
When I was still in high school my mom opened a Target credit card under my name to use. I didn't think much of it until I finally checked my credit score and saw that I had $3000+ in debt because she stopped making payments. I disputed the card with Equifax and they've closed the account and labeled it as "bad debt". The payment status is under Collection/Charge-Off. On Target's website it says you can't even apply for a credit card unless you're 18, so I don't understand how the card could have even stayed active under my identity. I have three main questions:

1. Who do I contact to further dispute this claim and possibly get the debt off of my shoulders? Target or Equifax?
2. If I have to pay off this debt, how do I find out which company the amount was charged-off to so I can start setting up payments?
3. Will paying off the debt relieve my credit score in any way?

Most Helpful Response

Opening a credit card in your name is fraud and may qualify as a felony, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to pursue that route.  Inst ead, go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of your credit reports (all three of them).  Look them over thoroughy and file disputes on all credit accounts that were opened, but not by you.  If they were opened while you were still a minor, that is the reason for the dispute.  Any time you find something that does not apply to you, file a dispute. That is one of the major reasons we are advised to check our credit repoprts annually.

You are not required either legally or morally to pay on these fraudulant accounts, so don't. You were a minor at the time they were opened, so that exempted you from being held responsible for the debts.

Just disputing the debts should remove them from your credit reports.  You want your credit built on accounts that only you opened for yourself.  Please re-read the articles here so you can better understand what you need to do to build your credit.