Question

suttree66

Mitigating effect of late payments
I have a number of late payments on my credit report, which is the only negative on the report. I recently paid off a couple of credit cards, as well as an auto loan and a student loan. I now have only 3 open loans/credit cards. Should I get another card or two and make small purchases that I pay off every month, so that my percentage of on-time payments increases?

If the late payments are older than 2 years, then they no longer count against your score. Don't get another card, make sure the balances on your open cards are under 30% of the credit limit.  To drive up your score, keep a balance of 1-3% of the limit on at least one of the cards at all time (or you can do that with all 3 cards).  Don't carry a zero balance on all the cards, keeping a small balance works much better.  Best of luck!