Question

cdm2580

Medical Debt at 14 years old? This cannot be legal
It says that I was charged with a medical fee in 2012 and it has gone into collections. I was 14 years old at that time! Now this is ruining my life. I've called the collections agency and they say that my mother has to call them and give them information to put it on her credit report instead! My mom won't comply to have it up on her credit, I cannot pay this and I need a student credit card! Please help me, my car has broken down and I'm going to college within a months time. Please help, my mother and I are not on good terms - she's kicking me out in a week anyway and that's why I need my car fixed. Please, God, anyone...

Most Helpful Response

Contact an FDCPA law firm to help you with this. FDCPA stands for "fair debt collection practices act". Most will not require any money from you up front. Consult with one that practices in your state. Kimmel & Silverman is a good website to take a look at.

Don't bother talking to the collection agency because you jonly reach a 'phone drone' who has a prepared script to follow and no authority to do any changes.  Instead, get copies of your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com and file disputes on all wrong information showing there.  You might want to do this in writing and include a photocopy of your birth certificate to back you up.