Question

Pbb080310

Medical bills, terrible credit
Hello,
I have about 9 medical bills showing as derogatory marks on my credit report. I have a very poor score and am looking to increase my score. I have no credit or loans. The medical bills total to 2k-3k which I can pay off. Is it better to pay in full, ask for payment arrangements or pay for delete?
The oldest medical bills are 2010 and 2013. 1 is very recent which I plan to pay off. Once the medical bills are paid/deleted what would be my next step in obtaining credit?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

If you are prepared to pay in full, definately negotiate with the creditor for a pay out, they may accept less.  During your negotiation, you should definately be requesting pay for delete if they are willing.   The idea is to get them paid before they are passed off to other credit collectors and further damage to your credit report.   Now, as soon nas you are able you will want to get yourself a secured credit card.  Ensure it has no monthly payments and consider the reviews of the firms as you make your decision.   (IMO: USAA if you qualify or Capital One are good choices.)   Use it sparingly and pay it off in full monthly.

fairdos is right! always negotiate first! Tell them that you will pay the balance if they agree to stop reporting it to the bureaus. First get it in writing though!