Question

throwaway802922

Medical bill sent to collections, what should I do?
Hello,
My medical bill from an ER visit was sent to collections. It was for about $2100. I received an email from myfico.com saying a new collection has been added to your credit report. What should I do what is the best option to get it removed and off of my report? I'm 19 my parents were supposed to pay but it's under my SSN# but that doesn't matter. How can I fix it ASAP
I just received the email today.
How can I fix this?

Pay the bill

If your parents were supposed to pay this then contact them and ask them to help you get this settled.  Now that the collection is on your report, it will stay on the report for 7 years after it is paid, If you are able to pay even part of it, I'd suggest that you do an "offer and compromise"  Google it for a letter template and more info on how they work. Basicly you write to the collection agency and ask them to remove the derogitory remark and the open collection on your report if you pay them a lump sum.  It may take some negotiating but it can be done if your in a position to pay a lump sum of maybe 50% to 75% of the original bill. Start low and DO NOT pay until you have an agreement in writing. DO NOT TRY TO NEGOTIATE OVER THE PHONE. They will promise anything on the phone but rarely follow through. They just want to get a payment.

address all mail to the "Collections Manager" and send Return receipt requested, Keep up the papaer trail. 

Good Luck

You can also try contact the original creditor to see if they are willing to recall the collection if you pay them directly. Some medical facility might still have their own in-house collection dept or contract it out together with other facilities. There is difference between if it's been "sent" or it's been "sold" to collection.

Were you under 18 at the time of service? If so, maybe you could get it removed since you were a minor. If not, do some reading on "pay for delete agreements"