Question

dermobill

Medical bill in collections from when I was underage
Hi,

Several years ago, I saw a dermatologist for a cosmetic issue. I was 16 at the time. My parents were billed and the bill went unpaid and went into collections. I was of age (19) when it went into collection and when it was ultimately paid by my parents.

I'm trying to get prequalified for a mortgage right now. TransUnion is the only one reporting the collections report, and my credit score with them is below 750. Experian and Equifax have me just above 750. My bank requested my scores, so I have the actual numbers from all three agencies, which differ from the credit karma score a bit. Couple questions:

1) Can I dispute this? I really wasn't aware and I don't think it was my responsibility.

2) If I do dispute it, will it get thrown onto my parents credit report?

3) The "Open Date" is November 2010, and the "Last Reported Date" is April 2011, when will this be removed from my report if I do nothing?

Thanks!

I would dispute the account on the basis that you were a minor at the time of service and it should be removed without trouble. As far as if it will go to your parent's reports, I don't know, it may or it may not, but you need to dispute it and get it removed from yours.