Question

ThurmanTheMerman

Medical Bill in collections
I have a medical bill in collections. It's from an emergency room visit in June 2012 and its for $381. It's showing an "opened" date with TU & EQFX of June 2013. I'm unsure of why there's a 1 year difference, but that's what it says. Long story short, I'd like it gone. However, I've read conflicting information on long it takes for these marks to fall from a credit report: 4 years, 7 years, NEVER (seriously). So my question is: if it does fall off, when does it happen? Is it worth trying to negotiate with the debt collector, or should I just wait it out at this point? Any wisdom is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Instead of what you have heard, find out what really will happen and why.  Take the time to read the articles here so you can learn how credit really works.  Helped me a lot, so will help you, too.

Officially per FCRA 605(C)...

1. (1)  In general. The 7-year period referred to in paragraphs (4) and (6)6 of subsection (a) shall begin, with respect to any delinquent account that is placed for collection (internally or by referral to a third party, whichever is earlier), charged to profit and loss, or subjected to any similar action, upon the expiration of the 180-day period beginning on the date of the commencement of the delinquency which imme- diately preceded the collection activity, charge to profit and loss, or similar action. ​

​-

In short, it's 7 1/2 years from the Date Of First Delinquency, Credit Bureaus would routinely remove collections in 7 years. The DOFD dose NOT change, paid or not, you contact the collection agency or not, not from when the collection was opened. You can call each Credit Bureaus to find out when was the DOFD or the date it's due to be removed, and it should also be on your credit reports when you pulled directly from Credit Bureaus.