Question

kjcc9033

marriage after bankruptcy
My fiancé filed for bankruptcy a little over a year ago. We are getting married in november and I was thinking of opening a joint checking or savings account to put money aside for the wedding and other future expenses. Is this a bad idea. Will doing this affect my credit. What is the best way to move forward from this?

The biggest way this will affect you is if you two get a loan together, then her score will hurt you.  The joint accounts should not affect your credit score in any way I know of.  Unless you cosign or enter into debt with a person and they fail to pay, another person can not hurt your score.  It can make buying a house or car tougher as they will be looking at both of your scores, and you may have to apply for the loans without her on them for a bit.

Personally at this point, since you are getting married I asume you have great trust in this person, I would add them to one of your crdit cards as an authorized user. This will start building their credit back up, without adversly affectiing your score, unless they rack up debt you can not pay.