Question

Fablezim

Making payments vs. paying balance in full
I have a debt that is "Placed for Collection", which I can either pay off through the collection agency or through the actual client itself (in this case, a gas company.) I will likely pay off the client instead of the agency, as I feel safer doing it that way, but I'm wondering...
1) Would it matter if I made payments vs. paying the whole balance off at once? Would making payments in itself build credit, showing that I am paying? Or would it be better for my credit to just pay the entire balance and get it done with? (7 years, I know.)
2) I'm assuming the client would tell the collection agency about my payment, but does anyone else have experience with a situation like that? Any mis-communication between them or anything?
Thank you!!

Making payments on a collection does NOT help build credit. You are best to pay in one lump sum and get it behind you and get the collection closed. What you should really try for is a "pay for delete agreement" and get the collection REMOVED rather than just marked as paid.