Question

Smalls70

Majority of debt is medical bills
About $10,100.00 of about $12,000.00 in collection debt is medical bills. With an additional $3000.00 non medical/not in collection yet debt on top of that. Is it worth it to file bankruptcy and start new? I just went through a divorce and his lack of contributing financially is what has kept this snowball going. I am now unemployed because I took care of elderly family members for the last 5 years but starting vocational school and will be finished by next spring 2015. I am barely surviving with my boyfriend's income for monthly living expenses and have nothing to give to these collectors at least until next year. What is my best course of action?

Most Helpful Response

Write to them and let them know you have nothing in the way of your own money so you could pay the bills.  Many hospitals and clinics get financial assistance to cover uncollectable bills.  It costs money to file a bankruptcy, but you could talk to a bankruptcy attorney to get ideas on what you could do, and the attorney will give you free advice on the first consult (usually).  The collectors can't get anything from you if you have nothing, simple as that.