Question

Karmatrack

Maintaining Good credit while applying for cards/student loans
I read on this site that millennials (pejorative!) who have excellent credit while maintaining student loans generally carry 5-6 credit cards or more (!) while keeping utilization rates very low and paying on time, every time. In the coming months/years, I will be taking out student loans and applying for credit cards. I expect that the number of "hard pulls" to my account will hit my credit score, but how can I space out the card applications to minimize this? Or is it unavoidable?

Also, does applying for deferment on student loans negatively impact your credit?

Patience, Grasshopper

Applying for deferrment for student loans actually makes your credit report seem more favorable, due to it causing a false 100% payment history. I'm sure Loan/CC underwriters see beyond that, but it definitely won't hurt your score. If anything, it will add to your mix of accounts and affect it positively. Try not to CC shop all at one time. Try to get 2 cards a year until you reach your limit. Keep your utilitzation low, and in 6 months call up the CC company and ask for a credit increase w/o a hard pull. That will help your utilization until you get your 6 cards.