Question

Belafonter

Macy's credit card
This card has a charge on my credit report that has long been paid off. What is my next step?

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD

I had a similar experience as many others.  I opened the account for the inital discount, bought less than $100 worth of merch, then waited for a bill that never came.  I got a call saying my payment was late, so I went to pay it online - not possible, their system was down.  No problem, I went to my bank's website and issued an e-check.  It was returned.  I tried again - rejected again, and their online payment system still wasn't operational.  Macy's began calling daily, requesting that I give them my checking account number.  I explained to the nice overseas person that I do not give my checking account info to cold-callers from overseas, but that I am happy to pay online or send a check to Macy's.  Each day, the person would say that neither of these options was possible - they were switching electronic payment systems, and so couldn't receive payments online or through my own bank.  This went on for about three months.  Ultimately, I went into a store and paid the bill in person, because I just didn't want to give access to my checking account to their call center.  They wouldn't offer me any other way to pay.  Of course they hit me with fees, but I paid it just to be done with them.  So much for the discount!