Question

brookert

Lost my job how can I pay back my debt
So I am Grad student and my boss has cut back on hours at my part time job, Im not sure if i can make all my card payments while paying for rent...What should i do?

Most Helpful Response

Don't keep this information to yourself.  First, figure out what your monthly income is and calculate your total living expenses (rent, utilities, insurance, transportation, food) then see how much you have to apply to the bills.  Then pro-rate that and notify the companies IN WRITING (keeping copies for your records) of your situation and how much you can afford to send to them every month.  You also want to stop using credit cards so you  don't add to the debt load.  Even if you can't afford any payments immediately, keep the creditors notified, because they HATE not knowing what's going on and would think of you as a deadbeat without this notification. 

Keep on looking for additional work so you can keep up with all your financial obligations.  A second part-time job could do wonders for you.