Question

mlester92

lost and confused on what to do
I am 24 years old and I am desperately trying to bring up my credit score. When I was 18, I had many medical bills that I could not pay on and have since been in collections. Obviously, it is bringing my score down. I have heard that even if I were to pay on these bills (since I am more able to now financially) that it really doesnt help my score any. I have 3 credit cards right now, and only 2 have a balance on them..I am working on paying those off in the next few weeks.

Any advise on what to do? I don't know what direction I should go in or if there are businesses out there that contact billing companies to dispute problems or at least find out what exactly is hurting me so that I can start working on things....

I am going to suggest that you read the articles provided on this site since the purpose of Credit Karma is to teach people how credit works and how to improve your credit score.  These articles are really very helpful.  Another thing you need to understand is the Statute of Limitations on collections and what it is for your state, since it does vary.  This is the maximum tim e period from the date a debt first becomes overdue that any company can attempt to collect on that debt.  While a debt may be showing on your credit report for 7 years, it could have become uncollectable in 4 years in some states. Also, read about the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act which limits the unsavory tricks that some collection agencies try to pull.  Knowledge IS power, and the more you learn, the better.

If you are 24 now and the medical bills are from when you were 18 then that tells me that they are around 6 years old. Accounts like this will age off of your reports in 7 years which means that they will be aging off and deleted from your credit reports in the next year. You can also sometimes get them removed prior to the seven year mark with "early exclusion" so do some reading on that. Also do some reading on "pay for delete agreements". I would wait out the accounts that are around six years old, get your credit cards paid down and continue to read all that you can about credit. You don't need to hire any companies, you just need to sit down and do some reading.