Question

nathanb2015

Looking to reach a fico score of 800, Looking for some advice.
I am looking for advice on how to reach a fico score of 800 or higher. I currently have a decent score of 765 with one credit bureau but I have some possible redflags that I assume are holding my fico score back. I have two 30 day and one 60 day late payment that reflects are poor payment history. A credit history of 8 years and 3 months while my newest account is 2 years old but my Credit Karma displays my average credit history with two different bureau's as 4 years 11mo and 4 years 5mo. I am hoping once I hit the 5 year mark my score will boost even more so. Another factor is that I only have 15 accounts opened over the course of 8 years including ones that have been closed. Credit Karma says that having 21+ accounts overall is "Excellent". Would opening a new account whether it's a credit card, loan, etc a good idea or would this negatively reflect my average for credit history? Your advice is a valued.

Regards,

I would not follow Credit Karma's advice on how to build scores, they are giving advice on Vantage Scores, not FICO. I would start sending "Goodwill Letters" to the lender that you had the late payments with asking them to be kind and remove the lates.

nathanb2015

Thank you for the advice. I disputed the late payments (long story short) they removed the late fees, pay'd the balance but the negative payment history stayed. I will look into the method of "Goodwill Letters" in hopes they will worked with me on this. Any recommendations or templates to get the ball rolling on this?

Regards,

I would be careful sending goodwill letters to remove late payments. I sent goodwill letters to a few credit cards asking that they remove the late payment because I saw recommendations that it would be the best way to handle late pays....anyway all sent me letters back stating that they could not change correct information on a credit report.  Capitalone actually posted on my credit report that I disputed the late pay and it was investigated and found to be valid, which I fear will actually look worse than the late pay itself.

Why 800?

800 credit score is not a magic number.   Why do you need a credit score of 800?  Don't open a new account if you don't need it.  TOO MUCH CREDIT available could acutally lower your score.