Question

cmcclur1

Looking for some much needed advice concerning utilization ratio. New to the credit world.
I just received my new Chase Freedom card with $1000 limit. Additionally, I already own a Cap One secured card with a $250 limit. My credit history is only a little over a year old and I'm wondering how much each month I can spend between the two cards without jeopardizing the utilization ratio. I have the income to pay off both cards entirely each month if I max them out, but now that I have read through this forum, I'm beginning to think that is not the best approach to maximizing my CS gain. So now I'm looking for some advice that I can one day pass on to another credit novice. Thanks in advance

Most Helpful Response

On both cards the statement balance will report to the credit bureaus. Most recommend only allowing a balance between 1-10% of your available credit to report. This means you should pay 90-99% of your balance a few days before your statement date. I would recommend adding to your CapOne secured card deposit every couple of months, this will help build your credit file and show CapOne that you are serious about building credit.