Question

malenursingstudent

Looking for my second credit card.
Hello everyone at CreditKarma! I am currently in the market for my second credit card. My first credit card is the Wellsfargo Cash Back College Visa with a credit limit of $1,500 (it increased by $300 after a couple of months). I pay my balance off in full every month unless I finance a big purchase, then it takes maybe two months at max. I am a college student who will be entering the nursing program for the fall semester. I make approximately $20,000 annually. My ultimate goal in life is to become an international traveling nurse so a travel card would be my main interest. Currently, based off of CreditKarma, my two scores are as follow: 731 and 706. Based off of this criteria, I ultimately applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and got denied because of my low income. I applied mainly because CreditKarma told me my odds for this card was very good, now I am asking the community for some assistance because I am at a loss for which card to apply for. I am the only person in my family who has good credit so I cannot ask them for help. I have also used the "pre-qualifying" applications on most credit card websites, but since I am not 21 they do not offer me any cards, rather they show me which ones I may be interested in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

as you are trying to build your credit look at getting one or two store credit Cards.   ( some folks don't like them, but they will work for you )

You have a better chance with a store card now then a Visa, MS or Discover Card. 

Once you get a Store card or 2  just send them 1.25 every other month to build up your Payment History.

Good Luck

Most definitely refrain from applying for any more high end cards like the sapphire, check with a lender like Capital One, Comenity Bank (Sportsman's Guide), Discover, etc. Worry about getting a good card down the road after you have built a strong credit profile.

Capital One

Check with Capital One. They're a reasonable lender and a little more liberal with approving people who are working on building or rebuilding credit. They also have a couple of different cards that are good for travel (the Quicksilver, which I think is a good cash back card, and the Venture, on which you can earn miles and points  for travel every time you use it). Or, like TryingToUnderstand said, you can start out with one of their Secured or Platinum cards, work on building up a good history with that for six months to a year, and then try to move on to one of the higher end cards once you've got a good established history. Hope this helps!