Question

Hottercold

Loan payoff with credit card?
Good afternoon, I have a 2 part question for you all.
#1 I have a Tool loan at about $9500 and pay $300 a month at a ridiculous 27% APR which translates to about $16,000 over the course of the loan. I want to get a low APR/No interest for 12 months credit card and try and pay it off in 2 years. I have 2 credit cards right now both from Capital One. one is a CL of $4500 and the other is a CL of $18,000. I have no balance.Would it be worth it to get the Discover card and pay off the loan with it but increasing my utilization at 35% or continuing to pay the loan.All my credit scores range from 690-711 and I make $120,00 but I had a chapter 13 bankruptcy discharge 2 years ago and don't want to hurt my credit.I barely notice the $300 loan but it's just really bothering me with the high interest but it doesn't seem to affect my credit negatively.

Financially, it would make sense to save some money as long as Discover gives you a line high enough to cover the balance and leave a cushion so that you are not maxing out the card. Credit wise, your plan will most likely cause a negative impact to your credit as you will be opening a new account, closing an old one and putting a large balance on a credit card. If you don't think you will need to apply for credit over the next year, then I would say consider it, but if you think you may need to app for credit in the coming months for something, then I may stay away from the idea.

Your scores are ok, I would app for a Citi Diamond they have a 21 month 0% or chase slate the have a 15 month 0%.  Those are probable the two best 0% cards out there.  As TTU said above it might hurt your score to close the loan but "Mix" of credit is only 10% of your score and I would not pay $16K for the few points that it might give you.