Question

zacksmom731

Length something can stay on your credit report
If a collection agency puts something on my credit report that was old, does the seven years start all over on my report? It seems like things are popping up back on my report, is this legal?

Most Helpful Response

unfortunately YES when it changes collection agencies the 7 years starts all over because someone new is holding your bad debt

Addison170

Sorry, jrhenry11, but you are incorrect.  That is called re-aging an account and it is illegal. If unpaid, it remains 7 years from date the account went delinquent, doesn't matter if they sell it to a debt buyer or not.  If paid, it remains 7 years from date of payment.  If these are older, then dispute the accounts with all three credit bureaus at www.annualcreditreport.com.  I realize that when a debt buyer purchases the debt it shows the date opened as the date they purchased it, but that does not matter.  The 7 year clock still starts on the date it went delinquent.  

So my next question is, how can I find out the date it originally went delinquent? The daets showing are new dates and I know that cant be right!