Question

cpbr

Last month my credit score was 762 and now it is 747. How do I know what caused this?
I have not applied for any new cards and I've actually paid off more of the little debt I do have which is less than 20% of my available credit.

Have you checked your report for inaccuracies recently? That's where I'd start.

Another issue could be that in your positive progress in paying everything off you've cut back on the variety of debt you have. Once you pay things off and don't use them they're not reported on. For example, paying off a car loan theoretically should improve your score, but once it's paid off there's nothing more to report to the bureaus. So you go from having a diverse report showing a variety of borrowing types with positive payment history to a much narrower portfolio. Hopefully this makes sense!

But honestly, sometimes I think scores fluxuate with the barometric pressure. It's hard to figure out the why and how. I think what matters most is that you continue to make positive progress towards paying your bills every month and using the credit you have responsibly.