Question

Posted in Retirement

victoria810

lack of income to pay bills 80 years old
I only receive 1155.00 enough to pay rent, utilities, insurances and that is all.

Most Helpful Response

Your monthly SSI payment

Somw questions:

If you are married, divorced or widowed, have you talked with someone at Social Security to see what percentage of your spouse's SSI monthly benefit you may be entitled to?

Examples:

• Is your monthy SSI based on YOUR employment earnings or your spouse's?
  • If your spouse worked but you didn't during your marriage, the marriage lasted at least 10 years but ended in divorce,  and you're both still living then you are eigible to receive a percentage of your spouse's  SSI (even if they remarried)
  • If your spouse worked but you didn't during your marriage, the marriage lasted at least 10 years and your spouse is deceased then you are eigible to receive 100%  of your spouse's  monthly SSI (even if they remarried)
  • If you both worked,  the marriage lasted at least 10 years and your spouse is deceased then you are eigible to receive 100%  of your spouse's monthly SSI in addition to your own SSI.

If any of these examples apply to your situation, please call your local Social Security office and ask them for help in applying.

Slick 15

My mother is in the same boat ,  I convinced her too file Bankrupt,

I told her that at her age, What do you need good credit for?  You

don't make enough money to buy anything on credit, She agreed,

And the phone quit ringing, and she has no worries Life is Better

for her now.

I suggest then, that you no longer use a charge account, period.  You likely only receive Social Security which is generally not able to be garnished (except for student loans and taxes) so, if unable to pay more than just survival expenses, let them go.  See what assistance may be eligible for Medicare co-payments and you should be eligible for Food Stamps (now known as SNAP).  Otherwise, don't worry about it. 

I'm 66 and on SS drawing 995. After ins.

Im 66 and draw 995.00 SS.. I have told creditors...which I owe 1350.00. They only

keep calling and it is making me nervous. I don't know what to do. I have told them my 

situation. its my fault I know.  But use to pay medical bills.

what can I do?

Jgchristopher

I am a person who always pays his bills however I would just change your phone number and don't pay any billsother than what you need to survive.

You need the mney more than they do.

hoeboy1

For ANYONE who is hopelessly in a debit situation that can't be paid, there is always Bankruptcy. If you go before a judge and show that there is no way you can pay your bills, the judge will notify your creditors not to contact you by phone or by Collection Agenices.

That is your creditors problem, they should have checked your credit worthness! What else are the Credit Reporting Agencies good for!

Of course, this will damage your credit, but what doesn't hurt it! Don't worry about it. Go to the county Court House and speak to the Court Clerk. The Clerk will get you on the docket and you can present your case yourself.

what can I do?

we are in the same boat lady!

tsarcdl

Enter Your Reply

I have recieved 1800 plus since age 62. You might want to check that amount.

NEEDHELP218

In response to tsarcdl's reply, the amount has to do with how much money they made over the years. If you make more money in your life time, you paid more into social security therefore you will get more out. Obviously you made more money.

lack of income

I wish i could help. i was hoping to get more results. i guess we are up the creek without a paddle. if you get any help i would love to hear it. sorry i wasn't any help