Question

concernedmomm

Kids credit information
how do i monitor my kids credit scores on here also? there was a situation at the hospital they were born and we were advised to keep an eye on their information. make an email for them? i'm not sure how to keep tract of this and make sure their info is correct.

Most Helpful Response

If I were you I would do this on a regular basis: Go to www.annualcreditreport.com.   Request a credit report from Equifax using the kid's info (you'll have to do a separate request for each child).  Review that report carefully and dispute any incorrect data.  Then in 4 months from now, go back to www.annualcreditreport.com and request a credit report from Experian for the kids.  Review that report and dispute incorrect data.  Then in another 4 months, go back and request a report from TransUnion.  Repeat this process every 4 months and you'll always know what is on their credit reports, and it won't cost you a dime.  Hope this helps!

Addison170

One other thought...if you want to totally protect them from identity theft, then you can freeze their credit with all three bureaus.  Nobody can open any credit without the secret PIN number that the bureaus send you when you freeze the credit.  Nominal 1 time fee for this through each bureau (or it is free if you can prove identity theft).  Then, any time they want to obtain credit they can thaw or totally unfreeze their credit by using the PIN numbers.  Good luck!

I tried creating an account in my kids' names and fond that CreditKarma requires members to be 18.  Really?!?  So I've got to pay Equifax to monitor my kids' credit??? Kids are 51 times more likely to suffer identity theft than adults and they're not likely to find out until years later.  Maybe CreditKarma could come up with a way for me to link my kids' SSN's to my account if they won't allow them to open their own.  There has GOT to be a better solution!!!