Question

Downgraded286

Just starting out -- (try to) get multiple cards)?
I'm just starting out trying to build a credit history. I've had a Fingerhut account for 6 months (started with $200 limit, already given $1200 credit!), and I just applied for, the Capitol One secured mastercard (out of three possibilities for a minimum deposit of either $49, $99 or the full $200, they only wanted $49 from me).

With the C1 card on its way I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to apply for a second credit card. That way I can build more credit history faster, and I would have more accounts aging with me right now in my early credit life (considering Average Age of Accounts later).

Earlier before I found this site and really began seriously trying to build my credit, I applied and was denied for the Sheetz credit card. I go there all the time and wanted it to build Sheetz points and get 8c off gas... so that's like a short to mid-term goal of mine is to be accepted for this card.

The world seems to demand credit these days... even renting an apartment can involve a credit check! I want to set myself up for the future with good credit and access to better things I may not be able to get without it.

Move slowly.

And do yourself a big favor by reading the articles here and using the financial tools provided to learn about credit so you can develop the skills needed to build an excellent credit score. Just don't try moving too fast, because that can trip you up.  Slow and steady wins the race.