Question

ratchet56

Judgement placed but company is no longer in business and debt isn't owned by anyone.
I have a judgement that was placed on me almost 7 years ago. I am aware it drops off of my credit soon but at the state level it remains for another 3 years. My problem is I have followed the paper trail to the very end and have found that the original company who had the judgement placed is no longer in business. My debt wasn't purchased by any other companies and is not owned by anyone. I have contacted the attorney who handled the judgement and he has informed me I could pay him and the money would go to a "money owed" account but it wouldn't in fact actually release the judgement until the money was claimed and the original debtor released the judgement. the county also tells me the same thing I can pay them but they cant release the judgement its up to who originally placed the judgement. My problem is why should I still have to pay money to someone who isn't there and how can I have this judgement released even if I do pay it?

Most Helpful Response

They are called "Zombie Judgements"

I have never dealt with one myself, but I did help someone else with one a while back. Although there was not a judgement attached to it, but i think that you could use some of the same steps outlined in this article to get your started.

http://blog.credit.com/2013/05/how-to-kill-zombie-judgments-on-your-credit-report-66338/

I think you might even try writing directly to the court that ruled on the judgement, since that judge could reverse thier decision.  

Based on having this judgment for 6+ years, have you ever had wages garnished?   If so, when did that stop?

You can actually file a motion with the courts to vacate the judgment.  Due to the circumstances that you have, not having anyone to pay, this should be a reasonable possibilty.