Question

AdrianKarma

I've improved the components of my credit report card, but my overall score remains unchanged. Why?
When I first signed up for Credit Karma, my report card looked like this:

Credit Card Utilization: B
Payment History: A
Age of Credit History: D
Total Accounts: F
Credit Inquiries: B
Derogatory Marks: A
Total Score: 722

I have since done everything I can to improve my score, and have done nothing to hurt it. I optimized my credit usage, and got added to positive accounts with long history. My Credit Care Utilization improved from a "B" to an "A", my Credit Age improved from a "D" to a "B", and my Total Accounts improved from an "F" to a "D". My report card now looks like this:

Credit Card Utilization: A
Payment History: A
Age of Credit History: B
Total Accounts: D
Credit Inquiries: B
Derogatory Marks: A
Total Score: 722

Despite all the improvements, my total score has not improved even a single point. What's the deal here? How is that 722 calculated, and why does a series of improvements to my report not affect that score? I thought the whole point of Credit Karma was to provide some transparency to the otherwise cryptic world of credit scores, but if me improving the exact things Credit Karma says to be important doesn't make any difference, then it all just feels as cryptic as anything else.

Can anyone explain this? Have other people had similar experiences?

Most Helpful Response

Your credit score is calculated by the credit bureau, not Credit Karma. 

The Credit Report Card has no impact on your credit score. Credit Karma uses the Credit Report Card to show you important components of your credit score.  They are a comparison metric. For example, members with 0 derogatory marks tend to have higher credit scores, on average. 

AdrianKarma

Thank you for your response.  I understand that, but I was talking specifically about my Credit Karma score (the one in the upper left when you first log on).  Since this is a score that is exclusive to Credit Karma, isn't that score calculated by Credit Karma?  I know that nobody else will ever look at Credit Karma's score but me, but since it is intended as a barometer of my overall credit health, I would like to understand how it is calculated and why nothing seems to improve it.

AdrianKarma

And even I were talking about a separate credit score calculated by a different agency, then my question would still be a valid one. Credit Karma has told me that six factors are important to your credit score, and I have then proceeded to improve three of those six factors.  If this results in ZERO improvement in any credit score (calculated by either CK or someone else), then is not fair to be curious how that makes sense?  By what metric are these factors somehow "important components of my credit score" if they don't actually affect my credit score?  What sense does that make?

very good question

Can anyone answer this question?