Question

Trustinbobbo

I've completely paid off several debt collectors. Why do they still show up in collections
Some as far back as 3 years

Those are still part of your credit history and will remain on the reports for 7 years, then fall off.  

debt collectors

Most of the time you can talk with them and request they remove it from your record IF you contact them and settle within a timely manner. I have done this in the past. I would only suggest that you keep records incase they do not follow through.

Also, Sometimes companies do not follow through and forget to list with the credit bureau's that it has been paid off. This happened to me and I had to contact the company and basically babysit them until they removed it from my record. Because, even though I paid them off at the time, it was still showing current. Which means 7 years would never start since it was always a current collection. First, verify with the credit bureau to see how it is showing up in your report, then contact the company to see if they will work with you on having it corrected.