Question

StudentDebt2000

I've been slowly paying down student debt, should I pay off and close the accounts?
I started with about $12,000 in student loans, It's down to about $2000 because I've been making larger, but steady payments for several years. Paying them down has improves my score slowly. I'm concerned that when I finish paying them, the payments of course will no longer improve my score, and the closed accounts may negatively impact my score. As much as it would be emotionally satisfying to finally put my school debt behind me, would it be wiser to start making smaller payments to prolong the loans to benefit my credit score?

If it were me, I would pay that student loan off as fast as possible. The high balance on the stident loan is keeping your debt to income ratio high and that is never good.

To show a history of good credit, I would open new positive credit lines such as a car loan, credit cards, revolving store charge accounts and build my credit with those. It is never a good idea to keep student loan debt just to show you are making payment on time because the less you pay in monthly payments, the more interest will be accrued and the longer it will take to pay it off. Kepping your debt to income ratio as low as possible is a good thing.