Question

LucyRose2511

I've been in prison for 8 years now I am finding out about all this debt that I didn't have before.
I just got out of prison, have always had good credit and now I find myself in more debt than I have ever had. Is bankruptcy the only way to start over?

Bankruptcy is not a good way to start over. It hurts your credit for ten years and then you really have to start over.  

Since it is not uncommon for errors to occur on credit reports or (especially in your situation) for someone to have committed identity theft just to be a rotten person, my suggestion is to first go to www.annualcreditreport.com and get copies of your credit reports from all three credit bureaus.  Look them over very thoroughly and file disputes on all items you know or strongly suspect are not yours with the credit bureau reporting them.  They then have to investigate and either verify or remove the disputed items.. 

You may wish to search for Statute of Limitations on collections and see what it is for your state (each state is different) just for your own information.  Any debt older than the SOL is uncollectable.  

I strongly suspect that, by doing these things, the debts you see just may disappear, then you can work on rebuilding your good credit and hopefully have a much better life.