Question

hjhafley

It's says I have 5 payments in collection however I don't have any that I know of
I think there are some things on my credit report that shouldn't be.how do I change this?

Most Helpful Response

Get your complete CR

Go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp and get your real credit report mailed to you. It will give you information on your accounts and who to contact (although you may have to google the actual companies if you don't have full addresses). 

You accounts could have either been sold to a junk debt buyer, or they could still be with your original creditor (with your original creditor using a collection agency to collect the debt). 

Depending on when the date of first delinquency was and your state, the debts may or may not be w/in the statute of limitations. Even if they are out of SOL, they can still report for 7 years, the collection agency just can't sure.

Go to creditboards.com (a good site for getting information on how to deal with this kind of thing) to read what other people have done when contacting these creditors. If you can afford it, it's best to pay them to delete the derogatory record (this usually requires paying the debt in full, but if your lucky you can settle for a lesser amount). If you do pay, make sure to get an agreement in writing.