Question

straw71

item in collections ,now paid off how long before it comes of your credit ?
I had an item go in to collections, however I did recently pay it off. How long before the collections clear off of my credit report ? or do I have to dispute it being on there now?

Most Helpful Response

7 years from the original date

On your credit report, it should list your collection with a date that the account was open or originated. It will take up to 7 years from that date to get it pulled off. A good tactic would be to send them letters every week (be a pest to them) and hopefully they will get sick of receiving those letters and get rid of it for you. I was able to do that years ago, but it still took months of sending letters EVERY WEEK. Finally, they got sick of me. You can try and dispute it, but you may have to do that once a month for a few months until they get sick of that too. All they have to do to keep it on your report is to report back to the bureaus saying that the account is valid.