Question

kdawgisle

item in collection
I have a debt in collections with NTL CRDT SYS.However when I call the one in Georgia they say I don't have a debt with them..So I called the next name group in new York however there toll free number doesn't work..How do I find out who I need to pay to get the debt in collections off my report

Most Helpful Response

Send a letter to them  and ask them to verify that this debt is yours.  Also find out what the date of delinquency was.  If the date of delinquency is 7 & 1/2 years or older, then this debt should not be showing up on your credit report and you shouldn't pay it.  If they don't respond to you at all, (you'll need to wait about 31 days from date of your letter), then send a dispute letter to the credit bureaus and tell them you asked them to verify this and they ignored you,  You don't think this account is yours and would like it deleted.  Be sure to send your proof of identity & address on all letters; copy of your driver's license, SS card or utility bill.  It's OK to send them this stuff; besides if you don't they'll just send you a form letter stating they couldn't respond without proof of ID and you've wasted a month.  If they DO respond and you want to pay this off, then get back on the phone (not a letter this time) and start negotiating with them; try to get them to agree in writing that they'll delete the account from your report in exchange for payment.    Be tough, ask for supervisors up the line until you're sure you've exhausted all options.  Best of luck!!