Question

ktb117

Is there a way to set up a credit alert to notify me if a new account is opened?
I received info that a website I am required to be registered on to receive unemployment was hacked and my info could have been accessed and stolen. The unemployment office is not offering much help. They said to just monitor my credit report. I was hoping to maybe nip it in the bud before it happened...

Credit monitoring is offered by many companies. It is free here on Credit Karma for Transunion and Equifax, but not Experian. Just keep an eye on your credit reports. If you are really worried you could place freezes on your credit reports, but I think that would be overkill for what is at hand and then you have to unfreeze them when you want to apply for credit.