Question

Talmadge1989

Is there a way to cancel a credit card without affecting my score?
I have a few credit cards that have yearly fees that I want to get rid of any advice will help.

if it does effect my score how long till it corrects itself?

Without lying to the credit card company.

Most Helpful Response

Closing an account will only hurt your score if it shortens your average age of open credit, or if your utalization % goes up from having less credit available.

Your score will recover when your usage is at the same percentage, and your average age catches back up.  If you want to avoid this, you could try converting the accounts to ones without annual fees, if the issuers have the option.