Question

107devine

Is there a risk disputing items on reports if the it does not get removed or is found to be legit?
I have some items I want to dispute but I do not want the "fall off" date to be renewed if the items are found to be legitament. I have one that is one year old and some others that are about 3 years old. What happens if the items are not removed? Is there a risk in disputing there items?

Most Helpful Response

Inquiries can be removed if you place a fraud alert on your account.  I had several inquiries, one of which I traced to a company I had never heard of.  Car salesmen and realtors will spam your accounts with these if they can get your SSN.

For account information the reporting bureau will contact the lender and give them 30 days to respond to a dispute on most items.  If the lender does not respond within 30 days the credit bureau will remove the item from your report.

If however the company responds and verifies the original information it will stay and further attempts to dispute it without new evidence will be ignored for exactly how long I'm not sure.

Generally people claim they have better luck modifying just one or two items at a time on their reports every 6 months.  Changing the status of an item is usually more successful than removing an item.  Mailed in disputes to the bureaus with supporting evidence like a paid bill are more successful than online requests.

There is probably some profiling being done to prevent people from disputing every derogatory item on their reports at once after bankruptcy.  5 years after bankruptcy however lenders are less likely to bother verifying the detailed information on charged off accounts other than that they are closed.  The success rates for removal are about 30% and modifications are claimed to be successful 70% at that time.