Question

virgogirl848

Is there a place on Credit Karma where I can explain debt (ill husband)
My husband became critically ill and I was forced to quit my job and retire early to care for him. Therefore, I could no longer pay my bills.

Credit Karma's sole purppose is to teach people about how credit works and how to build a good credit score.  Our credit scores here are just approximations of the true credit score and are for use with the financial tools so we can see the potential impact of a particular financial decision without actually making that decision and suffering the consequences.  Nothing here is reported to anyone else from this site so explaining debts here would not have any impact.

Instead, you might write a short (100 words or less) explanation of your situation and address it to each of the credit bureaus, asking that it be put into your credit files there.  It may or may not have any impact on the reporting of these debts.  If these were joint accounts with your husband, it will not carry any weight because the debts not paid will show on both credit reports.

I am sorry about your husband's illness and about your having to take on such a heavy respopnsibility.  You made a good decision and put basic survival expenses first and the credit accounts came in second, as they should in such a situation.  Things will work out eventually. Don't worry about it..