Is paying my entire credit bill before the end of the cycle good?
So I just got my first credit card in January through my bank and I've kind of used to replace my debit card in an attempt to build my credit. For example say I spend $60 at the store, I'll pay it with my credit card and then immediately transfer the $60 from my checking to my credit account via ebanking often before even leaving the store. I do this for every transaction even if it is just a dollar. But today i was told that may not be helping me at all. Every month I end with $0 and several payments made throughout the month, should I instead be just charging everything to my credit card (as long as I don't hit my credit limit) and not paying it until I get a bill? Or will doing it my way be more beneficial for me to build credit? I also don't want to owe APR. Additionally I was wondering if having multiple credit cards will help me build credit faster as long as I am using them all every cycle. For example if I was to grab a second credit card and only charge that $60 to it for example is that going to help or hurt me? Thanks for all your help!

Most Helpful Response

You have good intentions that are not helping you reach your goal.  One of them is paying a charge almost immediately.  If you let it go until the bill arrives and pay it before the due date, there will be no interest charged AND your 'usage' will be reported.  That is one thing you want to keep below 20%.  For example, if your credit limit on the card is $1000 and you spend up to $200/month you have actually 'used' that card.  If you were to pay that $200 immediately, the statement wouldn't show any usage so, you haven't 'used' the card because there would be no purchases recorded. You also don't want to 'max out' 'your card during the month.

One often suggest method is to have credit cards pay the regular predictable bills every month, then you pay the credit card in full when the bill comes in.  Some of the suggested bills are insurance, TV, phone, utilities (especially if you are on an equal payment plan).  This way, you will show usage, and regular payments and those will help build your credit score.  It may take a bit of time since you would have to have two or three cards to accomplish this without increasing usage over 20%, and you don't want to apply for too many at once. 

Hope this helps.