Credit Advice

Have a question? Have advice to share? The combined knowledge and experience of everyone in the Credit Karma community can help you. Enter your question or help others below to get started!


Posted in Credit Report
Profile Image

Question By

0 Contributions
0 People Helped
Is paying a lawyer the best a cheapest way to correct credit issues ?
I recently applied for a mortgage and discovered there is another person "blended" into my credit, his credit and mortgage is showing up under my ss#, the mortgage company directed me to a lawyer who specializes in credit issues, I am disabled and live on a strict budget, family members think I am being scammed, it will be very complicated to clear it up because I am coming out of a very long and vicious divorce, my spouse has been directed to pay all past medical bills totaling $11,000. I have been told if she refuses to pay the bills will revert back to me. So I have an ex spouse who has to pay for all of the items on my report, someone else is on my credit report, and am I getting scammed,, any help ???

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.

All Responses

Result 1-1 of 1Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next
Top Contributor
13004 Contributions
4652 People Helped

Any time you see any wrong information on your credit report, file a dispute with the credit bureau reporting it.  There is no need for an attorney because this entry is likely due to human error and was not intentionally put in your report. And an attorney can't get things fixed any faster than you can.

The divorce should not present any additional complications since the final papers will show who is responsible for what debt, and you have that in writing.

Top Contributor
7945 Contributions
1542 People Helped
Helpful to 1 out of 1 people

An excellent answer was already given by jwsister and I want to back it up by also saying that you can take care of this yourself, there is no need to pay a lawyer or credit repair agency to do things that you can do for free. If you are not working you should have plenty of time to read, start reading extensively on the topic of credit. Do thorough research on the dispute process and learn what you need to do. In fact, directions on how to dispute incorrect information is listed on each of the credit bureau's websites. The three credit bureaus are Transunion, Equifax and Experian. The only reason that you would need to consider an attorney is if the credit bureaus will not fix the problem for you, then you would get an attorney to sue them, but you should not have a problem, sometimes it will take several attempts to get the information corrected, but it is a fairly easy process. Any questions along the way, ask them on here and we will do our best to help you.

Result 1-1 of 1Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 1   Previous | Next

Your Credit Scores Should Be Free. And Now They Are.

View your scores and reports anytime.


Reply to this Question

Write your response:
Enter Your Comments

The Credit Advice pages of the Site may contain messages submitted by users over whom Credit Karma has no control. Credit Karma cannot guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of any such messages. Some users may post messages that are misleading, untrue or offensive. You must bear all risk associated with your use of the Credit Advice pages and should not rely on messages in making (or refraining from making) any specific financial or other decisions.