Question

Kmeisch

is my spouse legally responsible for my debt that was accrued before our marriage?
im considering filing for bankruptcy since i have lost my job and have no income at the moment and am unable to pay my bills. on the chapter 7 forms for NY i have to include my husbands income. Is he legally responsible if all of my debt was obtained before we were married?

Most Helpful Response

Check with an attorney.

I will say this first, ALWAYS ask for legal advice from an attorney, not a community board on the internet.  However after that said, most states DO join debt obligations upon marriage unless there is a contract (also known as a pre-nuptial) stating otherwise.  Creditors may decide to collect any outstanding balance from your spouse simply because they cant go after you any longer.

The bankruptcy petition does not require your husband's income because he is responsible for your debt.  It is to determine whether you pass the Chap 7 means test, or if you don't qualify for Chap 7, whether your Chap 13 plan must be a minimum of 36 or 60 months.